“She wrapped him in strips of cloth and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.” Luke 2:7
We always assign the line “there was no room for them in the inn” to the innkeeper and sort of make him seem a heartless figure who turns the weary travelers away despite Mary’s pregnancy. But the innkeeper was apparently kind enough to let them stay in his safe warm stable.
And the “no room” part is a terrific metaphor for us today to remind us that we too have trouble making room for Jesus is our hearts. We tuck him away in a small back corner and don’t allow him the freedom of our whole heart. Jesus was born and thrived and even greeted visitors from that unimportant stable....that “back room”, out-of-the-way place in Bethlehem, so he can make himself at home in whatever part of our hearts we give him, too.....if we just let him in.
Thank you, Lord, for this wonderful gift and make my heart big enough and safe enough to nurture you as you grow inside me. amen
MAKE MY HEART A MANGER
Make my heart a manger
As I wait for the Christ Child’s birth....
A place to hold the baby
when he comes to live on earth.
He’ll need a warm place to sleep,
A place where this new life can start,
A welcoming place to enfold him....
So prepare a place in my heart.
When the Child is safe inside me
I must nurture him and let him grow.
His presence will change my life
In ways that I can’t yet know.
He won’t remain a small baby.
No, the Child must become the man.
So my heart can’t stay the same
It must be willing to expand.
The manger is just a beginning
It doesn’t end with the birth.
I must be ready to follow him
Through his journey here on earth.
I must let him be such a part of me
That when he dies on the cross
I’ll be willing to die beside him
And never count the cost.
When he dies to bring me salvation
My heart will be crucified, too.
The old sinful me will be gone
And at last I’ll be born anew.
It’s a long way from birth to death
And from death to a brand new start,
So let me begin today, LORD...
Make a manger out of my heart.
Mary Freeman

No comments:
Post a Comment