A prayer before study: Psalm 43:3 "Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me; let them bring me to your holy mountain to the place where you dwell." amen

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Dec. 2....."You will give birth to a son...


“You will give birth to a son, and you are to name him Jesus. He will be called the Son of the Most High and will reign forever; his kingdom will never end.” Luke 1:31 

  Heavenly Father,
Tonight we opened the second door, and the angel’s message to Mary continues: “You will give birth to a son, and will name him Jesus. He will be called Son of the Most High and will reign forever, his kingdom will never end.” I’m sure Mary was proud to know her son would be Jesus....Savior....and that he would reign. I don’t see how the full meaning of this could have been understood by her at this time. What could she possibly have made of the statement: “He will be called Son of the Most High, or that he would reign forever? We don’t measure earthly time in “forever's”. Something that never ends is beyond our human perceptions. I’m sure like most of us she just sort of ignored the parts she didn’t understand and accepted what she could understand......”you will have a son”.

 Faith sometimes has to be accepted like that, a little bit at a time. Start simple and wait for God to show you more. My sister, Dorothy said something to me in an e-mail message along the lines of : “faith can change reality.” Mary’s reality was obeying God, having a son, naming him Jesus. Faith made possible the rest.....he would be God’s son, reigning forever. If Mary hadn't believed, hadn't accepted the role God gave her to play, would things have been the same? Would Christ have come at that point and time? Would the Savior have been born and saved the world? God works through us and in us, and our faith works with his will. God’s perfect will, our obedience. Mary obeyed and God’s will was accomplished. Let me be more obedient to Your will this advent season. Let me await eagerly my chance to join faith and obedience to Your holy will and watch and see what happens. Thanks and praise forevermore, amen.

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

Beautiful thoughts! Wouldn't we like to know what Mary really thought and understood? I really like that song, too. "Mary, did you know?" The first time I heard it was at our Christmas Cantata several years ago. It was a solo by a young lady that could have been an Opera singer, and it brought tears to my eyes.

Mary said...

Dorothy: I know...I cry when I hear it too. Same thing with "O Holy Night". The words of both just melt my heart. I'm so thankful for songwriters and singers who provide the music that make my soul lift upwards in joy and praise.